Re: Trouble compiling gtk+-2.10.9: relocation error

On Wednesday 14 February 2007 16:43, Fabrice DELENTE wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm trying to compile gtk+-2.10.9 on Slackware 10.
>
> I have succesfully compiled and installed the following:
>
> atk-1.9.1.tar.bz2
> cairo-1.2.6.tar.gz
> glib-2.12.7.tar.gz
> libpng-1.2.8.tar.bz2
> pango-1.14.8.tar.gz
> pkg-config-0.20.tar.gz
>
> Configuring gtk+-2.10.9 goes all right; however, when I compile, at the end
> I get

[snip]

> I have recompiled and reinstalled every packages twice, but to no avail.
> How to get rid of the trouble?

You probably have two versions of gtk+ (and also glib, cairo, pango and atk,
although these are not the problem) installed, the one you have put in
the /usr/local prefix, and the Slackware packages installed in the /usr
prefix.  The wrong one is being linked in.

You need to get rid of the Slackware versions; which is not as easy as it may
sound - old versions glib also comes in other Slackware packages, including
the aaa_elflibs package.

The alternative is to install your hand-compiled versions into the /usr prefix
(also set the --sysconfdir option correctly) so that it writes the old
versions, which has its own disadvantages (the packages in /var/log/packages
no longer give a correct description of the state of the system).

Chris