How to hadle the objects? g_set_data, global?

After some months using GTK I reach a practical issue.

Until now, to get data from treeviews, textcells and everything else I
always used the g_set_data's technique to later make a g_get_data from
buttons and the rest.

Well, now I do have a slightly moderate sized program with a lot of
references flying around and now I think I am losing what I tried in the
first place: Clearness.

What technique do you use? I am thinking to switch to something like a
global object with all the references and then I take from it the
references that I need. Sure I will need to figure out different names
to everything, but this do not "seem" to be such a problem. I am always
against global variables, but I think that the use of just one, and to
be more clear, is ok.

--
Diogo F. S. Ramos