Problem with scim input

Hello list,

I am using Abiword, Inkscape and Gimp as GTK programs and I input Japanese and
Chinese with scim.

I switched the input module with GTK_IM_MODULE=scim to scim and this works
fine, but the problem is the following:

Because Japanese and Chinese need to modify the entered string, usually a pop
up box appears where the user can choose the desired character. But in
Inkscape and Abiword, and partly in GIMP, the problem is, that the entered
character do not appear “on the spot”.

I made a screenshot to illustrate the issue:

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1135/scimgm1.jpg

The correct behaviour should be that the “こんば” appears right after the |, just
like any other Text you're typing and the drop box with the Kanji characters
should appear below the text.

It is odd that in Firefox, this works perfectly. But in Inkscape and Abiword,
this is really almost unusable, because you don't know where this box will
appear. I already wrote to the Inkscape mailing list, but they don't know
anything about it, and because it also appears in Abiword, I think this is a
GTK issue.

In Inkscape, the same behaviour also appears on my Windows system.

I hope somebody knows how to fix this problem. I can't stress how annoying
this is.

Thanks
Gerrit Sangel