Overlapping GtkWidgets - any advice?

I've looked all over the place, but I can't find a concise answer to this question.

I have a custom widget, call it Foo, that draws a circle. I want to be able to overlap two Foo widgets in a GtkFixed window, and have them draw two, overlapping circles. (I've implemented Foo's expose-event handler with Cairo.)

My current implementation works fine, except that the entire window of each Foo gets cleared with the background color before my expose handler gets called, and this clear obliterates part of the underlying circle from the first Foo. Is there a simple way to suppress this background clearing behavior? Will that do what I want, or do I have to start looking at more complex solutions like RGBA window compositing?

Any pointers to help me over this confusion will be greatly appreciated.

Jefficus