Re: (severe) performance issues

On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 10:41 +0200, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> because my home-language is Java ;)

If that's the case, then perhaps you might be interested in the Java
bindings for GTK and GNOME, java-gnome. See
http://java-gnome.sourceforge.net/

Yes, of course, it still talks through to the underlying GNOME libraries
(that is, after all our whole point) so is subject to all the underlying
performance questions. We have, however, been pleasantly surprised in
general responsiveness, and of course you can stay in Java for
everything else you're up to.

Hackers who understand the GNOME stack at a deep level and who are also
Java people are a rare breed. The new bindings are quite young, any
contribution would be more than welcome.

AfC
Sydney

(sorry to plug, but it seemed appropriate. Not trying to derail the
thread. Follow ups to the java-gnome mailing list)

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie

We are an operations engineering consultancy focusing on strategy,
organizational architecture, systems review, and change management
procedures: enabling successful use of open source in mission
critical enterprises, worldwide.

http://www.operationaldynamics.com/

Sydney   New York   Toronto   London