Re: libgtkhtml help

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 10:52 -0700, Caleb Werner wrote:
[...]
> The thing is that I'm very new to GTK, and in truth new to programming
> in general. I don't know much, so that's why I sound like a blazing
> idiot... In regards to your two questions...
>
> What is a gtkhtml widget? Is it a type of widget, or a specific widget
> itself? The widget I'm trying to view parsed html in is a textview widget.

Yes GtkHTML is a library that provides a widget, you can always render
your html in a textview widget instead - it will render as expected
(kind of like when you hit "view page source" in your browser of
choice).

> And sadly I'm not sure what a gtkhtml api is...

An api is a programming interface - has functions, gtk_widget_show() is
an api to show a widget - you should reffer to the api reference that
"might" be provided with the libgtkhtml package documentation to figure
out how to use the GtkHTML widget (otherwise theres always source
& header files).

As a side note that will probably be more confusing than helpfull -
generally people are using GtkMozEmbed to embed the gecko into thier
gtk application - I dont know what the requirements are of your
particular app, but you might want to test rendereing/performance
of both methods.

> I understand that I'm probably killing you with my inadequacy in this
> regard, but any help you can offer me is appreciated. Thanks.

Unfortunately I cannot do anything for someone who has endevored to
embark on the long road of programming - let me warn you in advance that
programming is all about _not knowing_ how to do what you are faced
with, _not_ having any support, reading endless pages of meaningless
documentation and incomprehensible source files, all without adding
the slightest shred of meaning to your life.

If I were you I'd run for the hills while I still had the chance :)

Cheers,
                  -Tristan