pango problem

Hi,

I'm having a problem getting gtk 2.8.18 to compile.  I'm stuck right at ./configure.
It's telling me:

checking Pango flags... configure: error:
*** Pango not found. Pango built with Cairo support is required
*** to build GTK+. See http://www.pango.org for Pango information.

So it looks like Pango is the problem.  However as far as I know the glib libraries, cairo, and pango had no errors in compiling.  So I am unsure what is going on.

I had used these versions:
glib 2.12.2
cairo 1.0.2
pango 1.14.2