Re: Saving a pixmap which is larger than visible screen size

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:45:53 -0700
Anna <christiana hipointcoffee com> wrote:

>Here's a guess:  I think of a "drawable" as an area on the screen.  I
>think you're pulling the image from the wrong object.
>
>It's hard to do better than guessing because I can't tell exactly what
>type the "$area" variable is, and what the "window" member is.  Please
>post more detail.  If possible, post a working, but concise, example of
>the problem.  This will make more info available *and* people will be
>able to test it.
>- Anna

Thank you for your thoughts. Here is an example (in Perl) of
the problem. I think Richard Boaz hit the nail on the head, about
needing a secondary pixmap( or pixbuf) and I'm working on that now.

I am temporarily continuing my sliding-window train of thought, because
I would also like to apply this to a large Gnome2::Canvas ( in a scrolled window),
to save the entire Canvas. In Tk, they have the "bbox all", so an entire
canvas can be saved to postscript, even though it is not directly viewable.
In the Gnome2::Canvas, I would need to slide over the entire canvas, taking
viewport-sized pixbufs, then possibly stitching them back together in
a canvas-sized pixbuf.

Mr. Boaz's suggestion for my current problem, is probably the best for
a pixmap, but a Canvas can have many Items on it, that are not pixmap based.
So I'm looking now at 2 problems.

Although I tend to learn better when I have to figure things out on my
own, I post this example, in the case (hope) that someone has an easy
solution, which I may be overlooking due to my lack of experience. :-)

See attachment.

Thanks again,
zentara

http://zentara.net/japh.html