Re: Saving a pixmap which is larger than visible screen size

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 08:23:21 +0100 (CET)
"Richard Boaz" <riboaz xs4all nl> wrote:

>If I understand you correctly, you are writing the updates to the screen
>directly and require capturing the version currently being displayed?
>
>If so, one way around your problem would be through a bit of re-design.
>Instead of doing any drawing directly to the screen, you should always
>draw your updates to an internal pixmap and then render this pixmap to the
>screen, i.e., do no real drawing directly to the display itself.
>
>This way, the version of what is on display is always held within a
>backing store pixmap and your problem doesn't exist, you always have
>access to the complete pixmap, regardless the actual size vs. display
>size.  Saving this to a file, then, does not involve in any way "reading"
>the pixmap from the display medium itself.
>richard

Thanks for the reply, I think you are right.
I continued work on it, and found that I could automatically
slide the viewport thru it's scrolled area, and take a series
of snapshots and stitch them together...... but that leaves the
ugly flicker in the display.

Using a second pixmap(or pixbuf) would solve that, I will have to work
out the details. Thanks.

zentara

http://zentara.net/japh.html