Re: Building/Installing a GTK+ Application

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 07:51 -0800, getik too wrote:
> Ok I have compiled my GTK+ application and everything works.  Now I
> want to be
> able to install my application on other computers.  Assuming the other
> computers have GTK+ installed and is unix/linux based, how do I go
> about installing my application from some storage media, eg. a cd.
> What files and libraries would need to be included on the cd.  I am
> not trying
> to create a self installing cd just something that has whatever is
> necessary
> to make my executable run.

Vmware and others bundle the GTK libraries with their app in their own
folder and then use a startup script to set up LD_LIBRARY_PATH and other
environment variables to make sure the bundled gtk libraries are
tester program that the installer runs to see if the system gtk
libraries are installed and if they are the right version for the
program.  If they are not it uses the internal libraries.  I believe
this is the best answer for wide portability.  The only catch is the
glibc version, so you might need to have a package for different
versions of that.