Setting initial GtkWidget (not GtkWindow) size

Hello !

I want to create window that has GtkTextView inside it. And I want
GtkTextView to have specific initial size (with the ability to resize it
later by resizing window with mouse).

Digging in documentation I've found two possible ways to set widget size:
gtk_widget_set_size_request (but it forces minimal widget size) and
gtk_window_set_default_size for the whole window (but I do not know the
sizes of the other widgets in window, so I can't calculate resulting size
of my GtkTextView).

Are there any other methods to set initial widget size, or are there any
method to know widget size and position before window is shown (so I can
calculate and set the size of the whole window) ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
             Vladimir