Re: stuck while installing GTK+ ,,, need help

On Saturday 14 October 2006 12:21, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> --- Chris Vine <chris cvine freeserve co uk> wrote:
> > I would just do ./configure --prefix=[whatever]; make; make install.
>
> I think you are missing the point of my tool - each library resides in a
> separate directory by default. Though you can override this.
>
> Because of the above you can have more than one version of the same
> library.
>
> And I won't believe that introducing new features does not screw up things,
> so having more than one version of the same library might help to have
> access to both bleeding edge features and enjoy stability.
>
> Suppose for GIMP you need stability and for Firefox - new features. In the
> framework of my tool you can base GIMP and Firefox on different versions of
> gtk+ and friends.

You are right, I was missing the point.  I thought you were espousing your
tool for general use when building GTK+ or applications which depend on it,
and I have certainly seen you do that in the past.  Using different versions
of GTK+ on the same system is not a usual requirement, at least on unix-like
systems which usually come packaged by a distributor and/or with a compiler.
It is a long time since I had multiple library versions on my system (the
last time was to test different binary incompatible versions of libstdc++),
and I have never done that with GTK+.  It is generally a pain.

Since GTK+ is within any major version number source compatible I do not think
it is much of an issue.  I agree there is binary incompatibility between GTK+
2.8 and 2.10 (in gdk_pixbuf) but I think it is easier to recompile stuff
depending on GTK+ rather than carry multiple versions around, if you want to
make use of the new version 2.10 features in some of them.

Chris