Re: gtk layering

On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 10:58 -0400, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>     Sorry. You already said glib is for general programming. Alot to take in
> at once :) I'm mostly interested myself in window creation and events
> relating to that. If gtk+ has it's own would it work without X or is X
> needed indirectly?

You're interested, then, in the Gdk library.  This is the library that
is typically ported (along with cairo) to other graphical systems such
as the frame buffer, X11, win32, Quartz (via carbon or cocoa.), etc.

Glib is definitely for general programming.  In fact it is so powerful
that *all* c programmers (well excluding system and kernel programmers)
should use glib as a matter of course for all data structures, strings,
and memory management.  I believe glib should be a part of the C
standard library.  Doubt that will happen, but consider it at least as
useful.

Michael