Re: problem linking 'pango-1.14.4'

As I said, I have no intention yet to replace libXrender - it works fine
for me.

Doing some brief reading, it looks like the /usr/X11R6/lib/libXrender.a comes from the xrender-dev package. Which I assume you would have had to install if you're building cairo which is in your list.

By my count, you're building a list of 55 packages. Why not make it 56 and end your troubles?

That's why I blaim Ubuntu - it was their decision to make Lib exist both
under dirA and dirB as two separate entities.

You could always file a bug report with the package mainter if that is in fact the cause.  Granted you're using MEPIS and I can't figure out which repositories that uses.

Anyway, I can get my car out of the parking ramp for free now, so I'm off.

Paul