Re: problem linking 'pango-1.14.4'

Paul, again my answers are inline.

--- Paul Davis <pjdavis engineering uiowa edu> wrote:

> > OK, I thought linker was smarter, that is, it would scan the libraries
> > until
> > it would resolve the symbols, or find it was impossible. I think,
> > Verilog-XL
> > linker used to work that way - sorry, experience from the a wrong world
> > :-).
>

> In this case, the linker is dumb, but really, it should be.  If the linker
> tried to be 'smart' and guess different locations it would probably be more
> likely to start using the wrong implementation of the library. Or in other
> words, if we know that its going to stop looking when it finds the first
> library that matches, we can depend on that behavior.
>
> Then the situation is horrible - it's very bad the result depends on the
> > order of two standard directories: /usr/lib and /usr/X11R6/lib.
> >
> > Seems to me like a not a good move on the side of Ubuntu/MEPIS.
>

> I very much highly doubt this is an Ubuntu/MEPIS issue.  More than likely
> the answer could be pulled from pango.
>

> > > The real issue is that you're not searching standard system locations.
> >
> > It's not me, it's 'configure'. That is, if I want 'configure' to use
> > libraries
> > built by my tool, I tell it so, and so far there has been no failures.
> >
> > The problematic library is X-related, and I tell 'configure' nothing about
> > it, so, I guess, 'configure' should have found by itself where the
> > X-related
> > libraries are.
>

> So why not just compile libXrender? Wouldn't that solve the issue?

As I said, I have no intention yet to replace libXrender - it works fine
for me.

> > My
> > > guess is your passing the -nostdlibs argument to the linker, which the
> > > manpage tells me means, "Do not use the standard system libraries when
> > > linking."
> >
> > No, I am not passing '-nostdlibs':
> >
> > "
> > [11] 2:41 sergei comp home net:/maxtor5/sergei/AppsFromScratchWD/build>
> > grep -r nostdlibs
> > pango-1.14.4/
> > [12] 3:37 sergei comp home net:/maxtor5/sergei/AppsFromScratchWD/build>
> > echo $status
> > 1
> > ".
> >
> > That is, configure doesn't pass - my tool doesn't contain such a word.
>

> I'm looking at the latest CVS version and I can't find anything at first
> glance.  I'd look into where it fails and figure out the exact command line
> its using.  Then trace it back to see where the options come from.  A patch
> for pango could be as simple as reordering some pkg-config checks.

I think that would be wrong; and I think we are in the search paths hells;
search paths are one of the biggest evils IMO.

Look, we are in this situation:

* we have dirA and dirB;
* we have library Lib both as dirA/Lib and as dirB/Lib;
* it matters in which order dirA nad dirB are searched.

First of all, I would prefer a no search paths mechanism - things that
I develop either find what they nedd in predefined by myself places or
die expalining what they couldn't find. Of course, this is not true
when I need to use modules developed by others and which are to be found
in "standard" locations.

Returning to our dir/Lib relationship - as a smaller evil it would be
NOT to have Lib in more than one location, and on Madriva it's the case.

That's why I blaim Ubuntu - it was their decision to make Lib exist both
under dirA and dirB as two separate entities.

> The idea/intent of my tool is not to ignore/(get rid of) the OS completely,
> > but rather to be able to build only the things I want, and to build them
> > locally,
> > not overwriting anything in system locations and not even beeing root.
> >
> > AFAIK, 'chroot' requires root privileges; I think using it contradicts the
> > idea/intent of my tool.
>

> The point behind using chroot is to ensure that your software builds with a
> minimum amount of pre-installed software.  The point here would be to use
> chroot in development.  This allows you to have a clean room environment
> with a known list of dependancies.  Then you can either require those
> dependancies be pre installed and have your tool check that they are, or add
> those dependancies to some list.  Just a thought.

I agree with this. But I was thinking of setting up a minimal Linux distro
for that.

I was also checking myself using strace.