Re: gtk_widget_destroy

I apologize to the list but as this continues publicly...

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 10:58:14AM +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:

> I was not asking you to have more respect for the list. I was asking
> Yeti to have more respect for you.
>
> There was nothing wrong with your question. People should be more polite
> when telling you about the debugger, because there is always a first
> time for everyone.

The use of a debugger is absolutely irrelevant.  This is
*not* about using a debugger, but this indeed is about
proper behaviour.

Even if you just insert printf()s and watch what it prints,
you must be able to find where it crashes.  Easily.
Yourself.  Moreover, if it crashes on something like

    if (GTK_WIDGET_SOMETHING(widget) == SOMETHING_ELSE)

realizing that the problem is in widget being NULL is also
something you should be able to do.  *No matter if you use
a blo^H^H^H debugger or not.*

Now, if you can't figure out how widget became NULL, or it
seems OK but GTK_WIDGET_SOMETHING still crashes for some
strange reason...  Well, now you have a problem you have
attempted to solve but failed, so ask.  And when you ask,
you write:
- it crashes when I do this
- it crashes here
- it seems to crash because widget is NULL
- but I think widget should not be NULL because...
so that people who are trying to help you do not have to
repeat this work.

If you don't do this, then you are being impolite and this
is what was wrong with the question.

Moreover, if you do this, you find in 95% of cases you
solved the problem yourself.  *No matter if you use
a blo^H^H^H debugger or not.*

I would never dare to ask others to debug my code if I
didn't spend at least a day by futile attempts to solve the
problem myself.  And yes, I do expect this from others too
in return.

That's all.

Yeti

--