Re: Pango-1.14.8 released

--- Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:

> Pango-1.14.8 is now available for download at:
>
>   http://download.gnome.org/sources/pango/1.14/
> or
>   ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/pango/1.14
>
> ed0add14bcfe8a6939ea6a5996aa8032  pango-1.14.8.tar.bz2
> 18c64e6cd7b91d04c40ef621a3d8fa4a  pango-1.14.8.tar.gz
>
> This is a follow-up stable release to fix some problems with pango
> 1.14.7 and is source and binary compatible with 1.14.x.
>
> About Pango

> ===========
>
> Pango is a library for layout and rendering of text, with an emphasis
> on internationalization. Pango can be used anywhere that text layout
> is needed, though most of the work on Pango so far has been done in
> the context of the GTK+ widget toolkit. Pango forms the core of text
> and font handling for GTK+-2.x.
>
> Pango is designed to be modular; the core Pango layout engine can
> be used with different font backends. There are three basic backends,
> with multiple options for rendering with each.
>
>  - Client side fonts using the FreeType and fontconfig libraries.
>    Rendering can be with with Cairo or Xft libraries, or directly
>    to an in-memory buffer with no additional libraries.
>
>  - Native fonts on Microsoft Windows using Uniscribe (for
>    complex-text handling). Rendering can be done via Cairo or
>    directly using the native Win32 API.
>
>  - Native fonts on MacOS X, rendering via Cairo.
>
> The integration of Pango with Cairo (http://cairographics.org)
> provides a complete solution with high quality text handling
> and graphics rendering.
>
> Dynamically loaded modules then handle text layout for particular
> combinations of script and font backend. Pango ships with a wide
> selection of modules, including modules for Hebrew, Arabic,
> Hangul, Thai, and a number of Indic scripts. Virtually all of the
> world's major scripts are supported.
>
> As well as the low level layout rendering routines, Pango includes
> PangoLayout, a high level driver for laying out entire blocks of text,
> and routines to assist in editing internationalized text.
>
> More information about Pango is available from http://www.pango.org/.
> Bugs should be reported to http://bugzilla.gnome.org.
>
> Pango 1.14 depends on version 2.10.0 or newer of the GLib
> library and version 1.2.2 or newer of the cairo library (if the
> cairo backend is desired); more information about GLib and cairo
> can be found at http://www.gtk.org/ and http://cairographics.org/
> respectively.
>
> Overview of changes between 1.14.7 and 1.14.8
> * Improved thread-safety.  Pango is still NOT thread-safe, but this fixes
>   lots of crashes using pangocairo from multiple threads.
> * Fix out-of-bounds array access.
> * Improved Indic shaper.
> * Improved Arabic language engine.
> * Choose shaper/font for unassigned Unicode codepoints.
> * Build fixes.
> * Bugs fixed in this release:
> 	Bug 356666 â?? pango is not thread-safe, nautilus does not honour that
> [...]

FWIW, this version apparently breaks 'make test' of Gtk2-1.141.

I have just tried it in the framework of my tool, and 'make test' of Gtk2-1.141
failed.

I reverted to to pango-1.14.7, and 'make test' of Gtk2-1.141 passed, like
it was before.

Need a bug report ? If yes, against pango-1.14.7 or against Gtk2-1.141 ?

All other packages were the same; I am using gtk+-2.8.20.

--Sergei.

Applications From Scratch: http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near 39yr lows. $420k for $1,399/mo.
Calculate new payment!
www.LowerMyBills.com/lre