Re: directfb

--- Bill Cunningham <billcu2 verizon net> wrote:

> The "best" way to set up dual boot XP/Linux at the moment is with
> > 3 partitions:  one with ntfs, one with fat32 for exchanging files and
> > one with ext3 or whatever filesystem you want to use with Linux.
> > Reading and writing to ntfs is currently still a problem for Linux.  It
> > is getting better but in the mean time it is better to use a common
> > fat32 partition if you want access from both operation systems.
> > This glosses over swap partition process.  In the near future Linux
> > will be able to reliably read from and write to ntfs filesystems but
> > until then an intermediary is needed (fat32 with its' 4G file size.)
> >
> > later,
> > charles.....
>
>     What can I put in the fat32 partition? I have win98se but my computer is
> so new I run into a lot of problems. I have DOS 6.21 on 3.5" floppies but my
> coputer has no floppy drive. My xp version came with my computer and it's a
> strange distro. I don't see an xp bootloader that gives me an option to load
> two different OSs. I can get grub into the MBR.
>
> Bill

Take any modern distro, like Mandriva, probably Mepis/Ubuntu/SUSE - they
have NTFS resizer and they will take care of multiboot.

Windows doesn't like other than Windows OSes, so the way to achieve multiple
booting is through Linux, not Windows.

--Sergei.

Applications From Scratch: http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/