Re: gtk hscale keybindings

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 09:11:45PM +0100, Pavel Sanda wrote:
> some applications using GtkHScale object react to the key_up/down (arrows)
> in an contra-intuitive (at least for me) way, e.g. after pressing key_down
> the box moves to the left side instead of right. please, this is a bug
> or a feature of gtkhscale ?

It would be nice if it worked this way, because:

    Right are higher values, left are lower values (at least
    in the LTR convention we both use).  Up makes the value
    larger, Down makes it smaller.  This sounds pretty
    intuitive to me.

    Also imagine a spinbutton attached next to the slider
    (as many apps have).  I do not call intuitive when Up in
    the spinbutton and Up in the slider change the value in
    opposite directions.

Unfortunately, the default seems to be the counterintuitive
one: `step-up' makes the value smaller while `step-down'
makes the value larger.

One can fix Gtk+ by changing the bindings:

    binding "my-fixed-hscale"
    {
      bind "Up" { "move-slider" (step-right) }
      bind "Down" { "move-slider" (step-left) }
    }
    class "GtkHScale" binding "my-fixed-hscale"

(you probably need the opposite to change the intuitive
behaviour to the counterintuitive one).

Yeti

--
Whatever.