gtk-win32: "Not enough storage is available to complete this operation."

I'm having a problem with a Win32/MinGW port of a Gtk program that works quite all right under X11/Linux. To make a long story short, when I open a certain window, I get the message:

Gdk:gdkwindow-win32.c:702: CreateWindowEx failed: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.

- duplicated lots of times.

Does anyone have any ideas about what may cause this? I understand on a superficial level what the message is about, of course; the system has run out of some kind of resource, and the underlying cause is probably that there are many widgets inside the window in question. Far too many, some might argue, but I still can't see a direct reason why the setup should not work. In particular, while the program consumes rather a lot of memory, there still seems to be several hundreds of physical memory left, and I've got 2Gb or so of swap space on top of that.

Gtk version is 2.6.8... Yeah, I know, there are newer ones available, but this was the latest (stable) one we found precompiled when starting this project a few months ago...

Any help would be appreciated.

--
- Toralf