Re: Controlling a widget from an other

On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 12:17:30PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> i must note that i find it rather confusing and a little ugly that GTK
> allows (and sometimes requires) the use of signals to make things happen
> rather than function calls.

These are marked `Action' (which of course nobody pays
attention to).

[cite]
G_SIGNAL_ACTION

Action signals are signals that may freely be emitted on
alive objects from user code via g_signal_emit() and
friends, without the need of being embedded into extra code
that performs pre or post emission adjustments on the
object. They can also be thought of as object methods which
can be called generically by third-party code.
[/cite]

I would be less confusing if a plain C function equivalent
existed for all these action signals...

> signals are described primarily (maybe even
> exclusively) as notifications that things have happened

I don't have the feeling the documentation tries to hide
from you that you can emit signals on objects yourself to
invoke the reaction on this signal.

Yeti

--
Whatever.