Re: install problem on macosx 10.4

On May 9, 2006, at 2:29 PM, Mike "Caveman" Lehmann wrote:
hi all,
I tried the uninstall route mentioned forst, but didn't get anywhere. However, the darwinports solution worked like a very, very slow charm
:)  I immediately compiled the first example program from the gtk
tutorial, which worked jst fine, but upon executing it, received this
warning:

michael-lehmanns-mac-mini:~/gtk-tutorial mike$ gcc base.c -o base
`pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0`
michael-lehmanns-mac-mini:~/gtk-tutorial mike$ ./base

(base:27443): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Is this an xhost situation?  I'm running from a term popped open
directly from teh termnal app.  If I run from the finder, I get a
DarwinX wecome screen and the app appears.  Is it the case that gtk
apps should be run from the finder, rather than from the terminal?

GTK apps can be run from the finder (didn't know that...), or from an xterm under X11. If you set the DISPLAY environment variable in the Terminal, and have X11 running, then they can probably run from the terminal.

- Michael