Re: install problem on macosx 10.4

hi all,
I tried the uninstall route mentioned forst, but didn't get anywhere. However, the darwinports solution worked like a very, very slow charm
:)  I immediately compiled the first example program from the gtk
tutorial, which worked jst fine, but upon executing it, received this
warning:

michael-lehmanns-mac-mini:~/gtk-tutorial mike$ gcc base.c -o base
`pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0`
michael-lehmanns-mac-mini:~/gtk-tutorial mike$ ./base

(base:27443): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Is this an xhost situation?  I'm running from a term popped open
directly from teh termnal app.  If I run from the finder, I get a
DarwinX wecome screen and the app appears.  Is it the case that gtk
apps should be run from the finder, rather than from the terminal?

continuing thanks,
Mike Lehmann

On 5/9/06, John Cupitt <jcupitt gmail com> wrote:
> You have another installation of GLib there, particularly
> version 2.6.6, which is found first.
>
> So find it -- it should not be hard as pkg-config can do
> that for you:

Another option is to use darwinports. This should do a from-source
install for you.

  http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/

then type "sudo port install gtk2" and go for a large cup of tea.