Filechooser: enter dirs with one click

Hi List,

whenever I'm presented some sort of "file dialog" (a filechooser but also
Nautilus) I prefer to change directories with one click.

Nautilus is easy to configure that way.

But the gtk filecooser doesn't seem to implement such functionality, or I
haven't found it so far.

So at the moment I use an inconsistent system: Nautilus - one click, GTK
applications - double click. A fact that's really annoying (especially when
friends are using my computer who are not used to this behaviour).

So my question is, is it possible to configure the file choosers to react on a
single click?
If yes, how?
If not, is it planned?

I've been searching the web and mailing lists. The only thing I found out is
that I'm not alone with this problem. And there are never ever any replies to
this question.

I would be very grateful to get an answer to that problem, since I'm
confronted with it several times a day.

Cheers

Michael