Re: Need help : Installing gtk+ on Windows 2000

Jernej =?utf-7?Q?Simon+AQ0-i+AQ0-?= writes:
 > The de-facto standard is that GTK+- install path is stored in
 > Registry, either in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\GTK\2.0 or
 > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GTK\2.0 (only if GTK+- was installed by currently
 > logged-on user, and he doesn't have administrator privileges). That key
 > contains at least Path and Version entries, which tell you where to look
 > for GTK+.

Just to make it 100% sure, I want to point out that these Registry
entries are used only by the GTK+ installers, not GTK+ itself. I
certainly agree that installers are needed by end-users.

But for developers and other users who know what they are doing, if
you "install" (really nothing more than unzip) GTK+ from the zipfiles
provided at ftp.gtk.org, nothing needs to be put in the Registry and
you can have as many parallel installations of different versions as
you need. It's simply which GTK+ installation's (if any) "bin" folder
is (first) in PATH that directs which one gets used by some
application.

--tml