Gnome panel blank, can't add objects. Firefox not drawing window right

Hi,

I recently installed gtk+-2.8 and gtkmm-2.8 from source to the default
/usr/local prefix. I am running Fedora Core 4 on an intel-x86 system. The
installed version of gtk+ in /usr (obtained from rpm -q gtk+) is 1.2.10. The
installed version of gnome is 2.10 (obtained from rpm -q libgnome).

Everything seemed to be working fine after the install, until I restarted
the computer. The progress bar shown during system startup looked different
(a darker blue than normal). When I logged into gnome, I have a panel along
the top and bottom of the screen. Both panels are now blank, and it won't
let me add objects to the panel. Another strange thing is that firefox is
completely messed up. It doesn't crash when I run it, but it can't display
the window correctly (mostly blank, no text for google, some random blue
lines where I think links should be) and when I try to type something in the
address bar no characters show up. This appears to just be a display issue,
it appears to work *fine*.

I have no clue what is going on, I've searched the net a little but am not
finding anything close to my situation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Russ
Sent from the Gtk+ - General forum at Nabble.com.