TreeView selection shading and colored cells

I'm writing an application which displays information on cluster nodes,
and I have a question with regard to my node listing, which is currently
displayed in a TreeView.

My TreeView has several columns for various node properties (name, OS,
online/offline, etc.). Some of these columns use background color as a
means of augmenting their display (for example, State is red if the node
is down, and green if it is up; CPU usage will display a color from a
red/green gradient), so that the user can quickly see what's going on.
This all works just fine, except for one hitch.

When the user selects a row in the view, that row is colored blue (by my
current theme, anyway). Fine. But, I'd like my current background colors
to be blended in - so that a selected row's green background is a
shaded/filtered green - obvious that the row is selected, but you can
still see the coloring.

How might I go about accomplishing such a thing?

Thanks,
Michael

--
mouse, n: a device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
                -- Fortune