Re: Usability of the GTK+ 2 file open dialog

On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 16:33 +0000, Nate Nielsen wrote:

> A poor assumption. The people who are happy won't be complaining on a
> mailing list. gtk-list must have hundreds of subscribers, we could just
> as easily assume that all but 10 or so are 'okay' with things.

To assume that the silent majority are happy with things is an equally
poor assumption.  And even further to assume that the majority of gnome
users (who aren't on the list and just use arbitrary distros) are happy
with things because one cannot hear their complaints is probably not
correct.

I'd say that the file selector is just good enough that it works for
most people (it does let people save and open files!), even if it
happens to annoy them.  The annoyance level is just not high enough to
really effect any kind of massive rethink or relook (I fall into this
category; I would hack the code if I was annoyed sufficiently).  Windows
annoys most people frequently yet they still use it.

> That said, this thread had some good results. A few good points were
> brought up, and agreed upon. I'm sure when those are implemented, the
> file selector will be that much better.

Agreed.