Re: how to remove deprecated widgets - downsizing GTK

On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 14:55 -0500, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:

>      I wonder if you could accomplish such a thing by simply
> compiling the GTK libraries into your UI app staticly, if I'm not
> mistaken; gcc will only link in symbols and code segments from
> a static archive if they are referenced by other code segments
> in preceeding objects on the linker command line (maybe you'll
> need some objcopy --strip-somthingorother magic post linking ?).
>
> Hmmm, if the above works... it wont do anything for stock icons though
> (but hacking the GTK+ build to build without stock icons seems alot
> easier then manually removing code).
>
> Otherwise it looks like an excersize of rewriting the makefiles and
> maybe modifying source code... seems that the *_DISABLE_DEPRECATED
> flags are only usefull in client builds (they dont effect the
> GTK+ build from what I see).

I tried compiling the gtk libraries statically. But and linked my apps
to the static library. But I have another problem now, the statically
compiled gtk libraries are not able to load the pixbuf theme engines.

This is my configure option.

./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local/gtk --host=arm-linux
--with-gdktarget=directfb --without-libtiff
--with-included-loaders=gif,xpm,png,jpeg \
          --disable-shadowfb --enable-debug=no --disable-modules
--enable-static=yes --enable-shared=no

Why it is not able to load the theme engines dynamically? Or is there a
way to link the theme engine statically?

Regards
Durai