Re: Usability of the GTK+ 2 file open dialog

> > Another one: who came up with the retarded idea of "Browse for other
> > folders"?  Just show the damn thing already!  Why add 1 useless
> > click (on a small widget on top of that) to 90% of file dialog
> > usage?
>
> If you started to use the bookmarks feature, it is likely that you
> will not need to use the folders list for about 95% of your file
> dialog usage. That is my experience at least.

I see big problem here. There should be per application bookmarks.
I just tend to save my pictures to other places, than I do with
my documents, etc.
Or even better, let the user decide (while saving the bookmark)
whether it will be "global" or "per application" bookmark.

> > This is only based on my user experience.  I'm sure more people will
> > come up with other issues about features I'm not using (~ expansion...)
>
> Your user model is obviously different than mine because I very much
> prefer the new file-chooser over the old one. The problem is to find
> something that works well for the majority of GTK+ users and I believe
> that the new file-chooser dialog does a pretty good job at this. But
> of course it would need some research to find out.

I personaly think that the new file-chooser desing is actually not that
bad, but it has number of terrible usability bugs...

P.T.

--
Petr Tomasek <http://www.etf.cuni.cz/~tomasek>