Re: Usability of the GTK+ 2 file open dialog

Sven Neumann wrote:
> Right-click and select "Show Hidden Files" from the menu.

Wow!  I wouldn't have tried that in a million years!

I thought obscure features only came in the form of obscure keystrokes:
I stand corrected.

> Yes, there should be a way to globally enable this.

That's not the point, I wouldn't enable it even if there was a way.

You only need to open a dot-file once in a while.  The point is, when
you actually need to, how do you expect people to start poking at the
file dialog and 'discover' this feature in another file's context menu?

Michael L Torrie wrote:
> I believe this option needs to be in each dialog box and should be
> easily accessible.

Exactly as Firefox was doing in its custom file chooser, before using
GTK2's one: a simple checkbox in a corner of the dialog, reading «Show
hidden files and directories».

That and pressing '.' (see my first reply.)

Toby

--
Signed/encrypted mail welcome.  GPG/PGP Key-Id: 0x15C5C2EA