GTK performance on Windows

Why is GTK's performance so bad on Windows ?
Of all the gui tookits I use, it has the worse performance.

I am interested in GTK on Windows because I want to make cross-platform applications.

Isn't there a new version on the horizon that will fix this ?
Or what can be done to tune the performance of GTK interfaces ?

I am using GTK+ version 2.8, and Windows XP.
The platform I use is Mono with the GTK# bindings,
but I also made tests in Python with the PyGTK.bindings, and I've got the same results.

Thank you,