Layered Drawing Areas

Hi,

Has anyone managed to get multiple drawing areas to layer
transparently ontop of eachother?

I am trying to create an app that looks like it will need 3 or four
layers of information drawn ontop of each other - but I want to be
able to work with the layers independantly, and I want to be able to
see down to the bottom layer.

Using a fixed container I can have the layers (at least it seems to do
what I think I want), but when I draw in a layer it seems to blank out
the 'destroyed' area. Is there a way of setting the transparency, or
linking the background image for the layer above to the layer beneath
it?

If it changes anything I am using GPE on an Ipaq...

Thanks,

Richard