Gtk apps have black menu background

Suse 9.2 with updates - On AMD64

All of my gtk applications have this problem. The menu list has a black
background. Dragging the cursor over them reveals the menu text just enough
to read the list. All of the programs work ok.
Background: Last year I tried to upgrade to a recent version of Gnucash. It
required a new gtk2. The menu problem started at that point. I downgraded
gtk and dropped the upgrade and all was well. Now I have installed the new
Gnucash 2.0 and its dependencies. It is very good software. But the menu problem has
returned.
It affects Gimp, Synaptic, Gnucash, gtkam, GQview etc.

While  running "smart --gui" I get this error. Is this something to look at?

(smart:30596): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_window_set_back_pixmap(): pixmap must
have a colormap

Using
gtk2-2.8.10-48
gtk-1.2.10-893