Re: GTK apps very slow to launch

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 10:54:58PM -0400, Richard Querin wrote:

> I ran an strace at the point when things were running quickly and I've now run
> one now that it's slow. I compared the two the best that I could (it's a huge
> file) and didn't find a huge difference except for the fact that it's loading
> some wxGtk related libs in the newer one (since I've installed python-wgtk2.6
> since doing the fresh install). I tried uninstalling the wx-related stuff but
> still no change.

is the process fork()ing at all?  make sure you (-f) "follow" the children.

did you watch the output of strace while it was being created?  you
should do that in order to watch for long running function calls.
ltrace too.  I wouldn't expect the output to show much difference.  the
difference is more likely be become apparent while watching the creation
of the output.