Re: Scrolling performance

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 07:54:33 +0200, Clemens Eisserer wrote:

>> Just to be clear here: I am a reasonably proficient user. I'm not an
>> expert. I am just a user with a working knowledge of compiling stuff
>> up. I
> So no code from you ... sad :-(

As I've said all along, I'm not a coder. I'm just a user with a problem,
and who is a bit fed up with GTK2 getting slower with every release, and
having developers treating it as though any problems are imaginary and GTK
is actually fast and efficient.

>> to be given some straightforward instructions on what to do and where
>> to find the tools necessary to collect the data.
> 1.) opcontrol --stop
> 2.) opcontrol --reset
> 3.) opcontrol --start --vmlinux=path_to_your_vmlinux_file (this is in
> some strange package when using fedory, use google)
>
> 4.) Do the things that are slow
>
> 5.) opcontrol --stop
>
> 6.) opreport / opreport -l
>
> This will tell you where time goes to.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/konishi/gtk2/gtk.html

This includes the profiles run as you suggests (even after installing the
debuginfo I can't seem to get the symbols to appear)... and I've used my
digital camera to capture some (four) low quality video to demonstrate a
very obvious example of the slowdown, as well as how it runs in WindowsXP
and how Quake3 runs under Linux.

The video files are .mov because that's the the camera produces. The
clearlooks video in particular shows just how horrendous it is.