Re: Scrolling performance

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:26:51 +0200, Clemens Eisserer wrote:

> I just don't get it why I need a 3ghz PC to not see repaint lags or 5fps
> layout updates.
> These things worked years ago ten times better than now (and no, this
> are not themes. GTK-1/QT-2 were themed too with tons of pixmaps). What
> has happend?
> I guess performance regression testing is something never here has heard
> of :-/

Welcome to the wonderful world of GTK... where performance keeps going
down with every new version. My experience: GTK has always been a slug
compared to other toolkits, but when I upgraded from FC4 to FC5, it
included a version of GTK that was built with Cairo, and the performance
dropped even further. I can start Motif or Qt applications and they run
fine -- they redraw quickly and generally perform well. GTK apps though,
particularly heavy text based ones... are pathetic. I wish I had a way to
capture both the look and feel of it and upload it somewhere just so I
could publicly show just how bad the GTK developer have let things go. I
know that sounds trollish, but there really isn't any other way to
describe it. It's awful.

For what it's worth: I'm using a Matrox G550 with an open source driver
(Direct rendering is enabled) on an Athlon XP 20000+. I dual boot with
Windows XP, and rebooting the machine into Windows is a revelation. Smooth
and fast... same as the Qt/Motif apps. Someone should be ashamed of that
result, as if GTK didn't have a bad enough reputation for being poorly
optimised already.