Re: Scrolling performance

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 17:09:11 -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 22:59:35 +0200, Clemens Eisserer said:
>> Just a side note: GTK-2.9.4 built with "-O2 -g -fPIC" is a lot slower
>> than the stuff shipped with OpenSuSE (I guess 2.8.6+). maybe the
>> debugging symbols cause cache misses ... I don't know but its about
>> 25-75% slower.
>
> The debugging info created by -g goes into the binary on disk, but isn't
> loaded into memory during execution.  -fPIC is more likely the culprit,
> as it adds extra memory references when finding the memory location of a
> variable under some cases.  This *could* cause L1 and L2 cache
> thrashing, slowing things down much more than a single added opcode
> would seem to suggest....

Ok, well... I'll try it out. I have "gtk2-2.8.19-2.src.rpm" downloaded and
I've installed it locally. I've taken a look at the spec file, but I don't
know how to alter it to work without -fPIC. If you can tell me how, then
I'll rebuild it, install it and re-run gtk-perf... and see if it "feels"
any better.