Re: Scrolling performance

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 22:59:35 +0200, Clemens Eisserer said:
> Just a side note: GTK-2.9.4 built with "-O2 -g -fPIC" is a lot slower
> than the stuff shipped with OpenSuSE (I guess 2.8.6+). maybe the
> debugging symbols cause cache misses ... I don't know but its about
> 25-75% slower.

The debugging info created by -g goes into the binary on disk, but isn't
loaded into memory during execution.  -fPIC is more likely the culprit, as
it adds extra memory references when finding the memory location of a variable
under some cases.  This *could* cause L1 and L2 cache thrashing, slowing things
down much more than a single added opcode would seem to suggest....