Re: Help! New user having problems compiling GTK, complaining of old GLIB

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 04:43:50AM -0500, resonant evil wrote:
> Hi there
>
> Excellent, informative response.  I definitely did not understand the layout
> to that extent, and that definitely puts it into perspective alot more.. I
> also never understood why making so many seperate partitions was usually
> reccomended when installing, but I had always just gone with a root /
> partition and a swap partition..  I guess I find it difficult to dictate how
> to split up the filesystem.. This is only on a laptop with a 60gb drive, and
> only 30 of it is designated to Linux, and I wouldn't have a clue how big to
> allow the various partitions.

More than enough.  I use 5 Gb partitions, and the entire full bore
installation with all options almost always fits in 5 Gb.  Use one for
/usr/local and one for /home.

> That being said, I guess thats something I'll have to look into a bit more
> and I guess I'll go ahead and install a newer version of Debian (which is
> what I was assuming you were saying, right?)  Like Debian-STABLE is quite
> outdated, and its best to leave a STABLE installation exactly that;
> stable..  While I was waiting for a response I was trying my luck on the
> FreeNode #debian channel and generally got the same reccomendation:  To
> enjoy the latest and greatest, run -TESTING.  This isn't a die-hard server
> that I need to depend on life-and-death and think I would have alot more fun
> playing with the new goodies, so I'm gonna go ahead and reinstall tomorrow.
>
> I really appreciate the informative response and I'll definitely remember it
> :)
> Thanks m8

You're quite welcome.  As this is off-topic here, feel free to contact
me for further discussion; it's always nice to share what one has
learned, especially when one has done so the hard way... ;)

Bill Tallman