Re: Help with "local" GTK debug version needed.

On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 07:52:32AM -0800, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

> You can do what you want using my tool (see signature).
>
> You'll just enter a command line like
>
> ~/AppsFromScratch/20061104/bin/build.pl -make_like -check_with_ldd -targets_to_build gtk+
> 1>build.log 2>&1 &

(to OP)

First, if you do this, you are locked in.  The installation
layout is so scattered that you simply have to use the
scripts that appsfromscratch installs to be able to compile
or run anything with the libs you built.  Unfortunately, the
layout most people want, an alternative Gtk+ stack under a
signle prefix, does not seem to be possible.

Second, if you do this, you get rebuilt and linked with also
a random subset of other libraries, not only the one you
request (for example, it builds zlib and gettext for Gtk+
but it does not build Xlib).  You can try something like
`-targets_to_exclude gettext' to manually exclude all the
libs you want from the system (after manually identifying
them) -- but maybe this option does something else, because
if I add it, it attempts to build gettext anyway.

Third, if you do this, you have to hack some perl scripts to
add arguments to Gtk+'s configure (I suppose you want at
least something like --enable-debug=yes in a debugging
version).

Fourth -- and this may not apply to you if the script has
some sort of detection of people who don't like it and it
works smoothly for others -- the build typically ends with
some mysterious failure.  For me this time it was

  mv stdint.h-t stdint.h
  mv stdint.h-t stdint.h
  mv configmake.h-t configmake.h
  mv -f alloca.h-t alloca.h
  mv: cannot stat `stdint.h-t': No such file or directory
  make[4]: *** [stdint.h] Error 1
  make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/yeti/src/AppsFromScratch/20061104/build/gettext-0.16/gettext-tools/libgettextpo'
  make[3]: *** [config.h] Error 1
  make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/yeti/src/AppsFromScratch/20061104/build/gettext-0.16/gettext-tools/libgettextpo'
  make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
  make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/yeti/src/AppsFromScratch/20061104/build/gettext-0.16/gettext-tools'
  make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
  make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/yeti/src/AppsFromScratch/20061104/build/gettext-0.16/gettext-tools'
  make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

in the build of gettext (that I did not request).

The last time (with glib) it was

  build.pl :WARNING: will not even try to build 'glib' target because it is not described at the top level of build data hash
  build.pl :INFO: checking targets - $scalar_path=
  build.pl :INFO: DONE checking targets - $scalar_path=
  build.pl :INFO: building, if necessary, sane targtes - $scalar_path=
  build.pl :INFO: DONE building, if necessary, sane targtes $scalar_path=
  build.pl :INFO: dumping %_targets_to_so_files:

  {
  };
  +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  + build.pl SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED +
  +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

and nothing was built.

So, if you want to
- build a set of libraries of your choice
- with options of your choice
- put them all under one alternative prefix
- have control over the process

setting the three environment variables and using --prefix
as Tristan described is a much straightforward way to get
it.

Yeti

P.S.: To Sergei: I really don't do anything beside cleaning
build/ and install/ and pasting the commands you post to the
command line.

--
Whatever.