Compile GTK with debug

Could someone take me through the steps needed to compile gtk with debug
info included. I tried the latest sources but ended up with dependancy
issues between cairo and atk - atk not being a seperate downloadable library
from what I can see.

I am using ubuntu and have libgtk2.0-dev installed but this is only the
headers. How can I compile the libraries - I will need the sources for the
libraries to match the headers.