Re: How do I update ONLY GLib?

Yes, http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/drafts/rpm-guide-en/ch-rpm-overview.html#id2928597

> 1. What is the "spec" file?,

A recipe to build the package, it's inside the src.rpm.

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/drafts/rpm-guide-en/ch08s02.html
and
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/drafts/rpm-guide-en/ch-specfiles.html

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/drafts/rpm-guide-en/ch08s02.html#id2966521

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/drafts/rpm-guide-en/ch08s02.html#id2966991

> Probably pretty basic questions, but I really do NOT want to screw up my
> system :-).

Well, then it's really preferable to install it to
a non-system location following Tristan's instructions.
Anyway (as a user, not root):

# Set up the build tree in ~/rpmbuild
echo "%_topdir $HOME/rpmbuild" >>~/.rpmmacros
mkdir -p $HOME/rpmbuild/{SPECS,SOURCES,RPMS/{noarch,i386,i586,i686,x86_64},SRPMS,BUILD}
# Fix the pkg
rpm -i glib2-2.4.7-1.src.rpm
cp glib-2.12.6.tar.bz2 ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/
vim ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/glib2.spec
[... change Version field ...]
# Build
rpmbuild -bb ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/glib2.spec

Yeti

--
Whatever.