export GdkPixmap to graphics file?

Hi,

I'm using cairo to create a GdkPixmap that I display in a
gtk drawing area.  I'd like to create a graphics file with the
content of the pixbuf when I click on the drawing area.  Is
there a simple function to create some kind of graphics
file from a GdkPixmap?  I've thought of just drawing
everything twice, once into the pixmap and once into a
cairo_surface_t structure and then using cairo's surface
to file export functions to create the file, but that seems
pretty wasteful because I'd be drawing every object twice.
So is there any function that I can call like this:

GdkPixmapWriteToPng(GdkPixmap *,
                                            const char *filename);

Thanks...

           David