Installing GTK 2+

Hello!
I have been trying to compile and install GTK2+, and after installing all the dependencies i still get this error:

checking for XRRUpdateConfiguration in -lXrandr... yes
checking for X11/extensions/Xrandr.h... yes
checking Pango flags... configure: error:
*** Pango not found. Pango built with Cairo support is required
*** to build GTK+. See http://www.pango.org for Pango information.

I have already installed Pango...

juan juan-desktop:~/Desktop/gtk+-2.10.6$ whereis pango
pango: /etc/pango /usr/lib/pango /usr/local/etc/pango /usr/local/lib/pango

I am a newbie and i do not know how to correct this problem. I am using Ubuntu 6.10
Any ideas?
Thanks