Re: Help on installing needed...

2006/12/7, billtouch touchstone-imagery com <billtouch touchstone-imagery com>:

Hi Bill, please answer on the list :)

I built the newest glib (2.12.4) from the source (./configure; make ) then went to su and did make install from the same directory. It when to the default location whereever that is. I tend to stay away from hard coded paths on installs.
[long snip]

so I presume you did install it in /usr/local/

How does the configure script figure out what glib version I am running? Does it look into the rpm dartabase? If so, then how do I get it to understannd that I installed from source?

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib (or equivalent)
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig (or equivalent)

should be enough to tell to the configure script where the newest glib is.

probably not the best way to go but... I understood from your email
that you need a quick and dirty way....

cheers
--
Gian Mario Tagliaretti