Re: Gnome VFS and GtkTextBuffer, character encodings?

PS.  Please ignore the line that reads:

text_buffer = g_strconcat("", NULL);

My bad :)

- Micah

Micah Carrick wrote:

I'm still wet behind the ears hear so bare with me. I'm trying to load a text file into a GtkTextBuffer. When doing so with local text files, no problem. However, when I open a file that I created on my Windows system, the program crashes due to utf8 validation. So used g_utf8_validate() to catch this. However, I need to be able to read this type of file (it's a text file containing assembly code). I'm using something like the following to read the file (using gnome-vfs): do {

   result = gnome_vfs_read (handle,
           text_buffer,

           BUFFER_SIZE,
           &bytes_read);

bytes_total += bytes_read;

} while(result == GNOME_VFS_OK);

if(result == GNOME_VFS_ERROR_EOF) {

   text_buffer = g_strconcat("", NULL);

}

Is there some easy way to determine the character coding of the file I'm opening and make a conversion before trying to put it into a GtkTextBuffer?

- Micah