Re: Japanese Display for gtk+-1.2.9

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 18:12:44 +0800
Xyber Blue <xyberblue gmail com> wrote:
>The only problem we've got here is that it will not convert english text to
>japanese text like what we see at the testfont selector.
>
>Currently, we found out that our system doesn't have gettext. Is there any
>relation between the conversion of english text to japanese text on its
>widgets and the GNU gettext???

Japanese messages on widgets are extracted from GNU gettext
message catalogues. glibc-2.2.x and later have internal
gettext. But you use X_LOCALE, it won't be initialized
correctly and fallback into LANG=C mode. Even if you install
GNU gettext package separately, gettext in libc will be used
(because gtk+ configure has no option to specify which gettext
should be used).