Re: GtkAlignment makes things smaller, but surrouning don't get bigger

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 12:35 -0800, Ben Johnson wrote:
> btw.  during our conversation, I've come to believe that the interaction
> between the GtkAlignment object and the EXPAND and FILL flags isn't
> working as the documentation implies it should.  EXPAND and FILL, if set
> on all widgets should cause the available space to be consumed.  If the
> size of one or more or those widgets is being constrained by a
> GtkAlignment, then the widgets that are not constrained should expand
> *more* to fill the space left open by the GtkAlignment.  Isn't that what
> an alignment object is for?  Do you think I should report this as a bug?

There is no interaction. The GtkAlignment container positions and
scales it's child within the space allocated to the GtkAlignment.

						Owen

P.S. It might not hurt to just read the and work through the code for
gtkalignment.c size_request() and size_allocate(). You seem to
think there is more magic in the GTK+ system than there is.

http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gtk%2B/gtk/gtkalignment.c?view=markup)

P.P.S. I'm going to drop off this thread now.