Re: GtkAlignment makes things smaller, but surrouning don't get bigger

Ben Johnson wrote:
Hi.

I have a hard time getting widgets to take up as much of the screen as I
want them to.  Is there a trick to getting widgets to take up more
space?  I set the expand and fill properties on everything because I
want all available space to be consumed.  Inevitably I wind up with some
widgets looking too big while others are too small.  It seems reasonable
to think that forcing the too big widgets to shrink with a GtkAlignment
object would result in the other too small widgets to expand.  No luck.
I wind up with two blocks of widgets with lots of space between them.
How to make the widgets that I too small take up the available space?

GtkAlignment is all about the amount of space that a widget takes up
*within the space that it was allocated*.

To determine to which child of a container excess space gets allocated,
look at the 'expand' parameter of gtk_box_pack_start() or the GTK_EXPAND
flag used with GtkTable.

Regards,
						Owen